Friday 24 March 2017

Listening again


Another poem about listening picked out by the team at Mindline


LISTEN
When I ask you to listen to me

and you start giving advice
you have not done what I asked.

When I ask you to listen to me
and you begin to tell me why I shouldn’t feel that way,
you are trampling on my feelings.

When I ask you to listen to me
and you feel you have to do something to solve my problem,
you have failed me, strange as that may seem.

LISTEN! All I asked, was that you listen,
not talk or do – just hear me.

Advice is cheap; you can get both Dear Abby and
Billy Graham in the same newspaper

And I can do for myself; I’m not helpless.
Maybe discouraged and faltering, but not helpless.

When you do something for me that I can and need to do for myself,
you contribute to my fear and weakness.

So, please listen and just hear me. And if you want to talk,
wait a minute for your turn; and I’ll listen to you.   
Quoted in Amenta & Bonhet (1986)


Mindline is a Mental Health Helpline Project which operates 3 helplines to help support better mental health

Mindline Somerset 8pm till 11pm – Tue, Wed, Fri, Sat & Sunday 01823  276 892

Mindline South Devon & Torbay 8pm till 11pm – Tue, Wed, Fri, Sat & Sunday 0300 330 5464

Mindline Trans+ 8pm till Midnight Mon & Friday 0300 330 5468

No comments:

Post a Comment